Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Lloyds of London




I should think most people have seen the Lloyds Building - this is the one by Richard Rogers, in a similar style to the Pompidou Centre in Paris; all the services are outside which allows for an open and flexible space inside. What most don't realise is that the front facade of the old building was left - you walk through a paper thin facade of the 18th Century into a building of the 21st. Because they are so different styles, even close up you wouldn't have realised that this magnificent portico led on to the modern building ... now you will!

I particularly like the Athenian Oath on Richard Rogers website ..."We leave this city not less but greater, better and more beautiful than it was left to us"

posted by Ham at 00:06 -- Comments here: 2

Comments on "Lloyds of London"

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (06:07) : 

Actually, I'm not sure many people have seen the building. Lloyd's is like an enigma to non-Englanders. It's almost a concept versus a place. Can anybody go inside?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (08:54) : 

No, the building is not open to the public. However I do have a friend that works there, so I may try to get some photos from the inside. It's not that special, though. The place I would really love to have photographed from the inside was from the time I ran my own business. One of my clients was the Royal Regiment of Fusillers; their HQ was the Tower of London! The regimental regalia was spectacular, not to mention the tiger skins on the wall. Ah well, not to be.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile