Sunday, December 04, 2005

The roof above our head....



In this case, that of the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. The reason for this post is to tell you that you must must must go to see "The Producers" on stage if you can, it is one of the funniest and best produced musicals I have seen. I was there today: it combines the flavour of a Buzby Berkley with the humour of Mel Brooks and the timing of Tommy Cooper. Before I went I wondered if it was going to come up to the quality of the film; I needn't have worried. On a parallel path, it matches and exceeds the film in almost every way. There is some very clever use of stagecraft and dance, and the story is subtly adapted to better suit the medium. Fred Applegate made the Max Bialystock role his own, and although Gene Wilder was looking over John Sinclair's shoulder some of the time that was no bad thing. Plenty there for the fathers, too....

If you have the chance, go. Posted by Picasa

posted by Ham at 00:04 -- Comments here: 0

Comments on "The roof above our head...."

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile