Monday, May 15, 2006

Greater love hath no man



.. than that a man lay down his life for his friends

On Saturday, I went for a mystery bike ride. Mystery, because I didn't know where I was going before I started. Turned out OK, though, and over the next days you can follow my trip.

First stop is here, a strong contender for a "Now-I've-Seen-The-Picture-No-Need-To-Go-There" award, Three Mills Green is only green if you don't scratch too hard but it hosts this evocative memorial to men who have laid down their lives trying to help others. Beyond telling you that originally there was a cross 150 metres away that was dedicated to four men who died in 1901 in a sewer gas accident, I have been able to find little more. If you know anything, I'd be interested to hear.

This is just by the side of the canal where I took this shot.

Turns out that you can have your own copy of the sculpture, but I want the gargoyle! Link courtesy of DG.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 8

Comments on "Greater love hath no man"

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (08:03) : 

Holy Smokes! What an eloquent sculpture! It really has presence

 

Blogger Kala said ... (08:06) : 

kewl sculpture! this should be a fun journey with map in tow!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:32) : 

Are you sure it was 150 metres not a certain number of yards that was the original distance between the cross and the memorial?

 

Blogger Anne said ... (11:53) : 

Wow that is a cool sculpture! Although a bit scary...

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (15:08) : 

Nice, but I'm with you. I'd rathe have the gargoyle. =)

 

Blogger Lorethian said ... (19:31) : 

Love the shot.



http://kansascitydailyphoto.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Anna said ... (18:25) : 

Magnifique.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (19:31) : 

I'd like some hands... but 15 grand for a replica? Must send Mr BW on a stone carving course soon ;)

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile