Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Limehouse Basin



It is only a pebble drop from the Rotherhithe Tunnel to the Limehouse Basin. This used to be one of the busiest docks, where it is said you could walk to one side to the other by hopping from ship to ship. It used to be a showcase for crane and lifting machinery, in the days before containers took over the world. You can just see how the lock was made by building in the sides that were designed to take bi-i-i-i-g ships, here
It closed to shipping in the late 60's and fell into disuse until it became part of the docklands regeneration in hte eighties. Now, chi-chi apartments
are what you find.

There's a lot of history in the area, so I'll probably be back one day, but for now, a picture of the marina as it is today and I'll be on my way.

posted by Ham at 00:08 -- Comments here: 2

Comments on "The Limehouse Basin"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50) : 

Hi,
I visit ur page regularly to get a glimpse of my favourite city and read the wonderful description against them. Today's pic (LimeHouse basin) however doesn't seem to be load properly.

cheers
Prash

 

Blogger Ham said ... (17:35) : 

Blogspot seems rather strangely sick at the moment, sorry. Not a lot I can do about it (although I did try - todays pic is hosted on Flickr, so beats me what's wrong)

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile