Monday, May 22, 2006

London Pigeons



Reader Pigeon Blog asked for a pigeon picture, and I'm happy to oblige. This puts me in mind of Extreme Ironing - I had never come across extreme pigeon feeding.

But then, pigeons are part of what makes London what it is. Also, I have the answer to why you NEVER see baby pigeons - its because they are so good at rearing chicks that they don't bother leaving home till they are around 18 in bird years. Sound familiar to anyone?

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 9

Comments on "London Pigeons"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (03:11) : 

seriously? haha, that's brilliant.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (06:00) : 

such a great photo!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (13:03) : 

interesting photo and info about the baby pigeons

 

Blogger Kris said ... (13:16) : 

awesome! 18 in bird years ???..how many years is that?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:03) : 

For them that are interested, I first heard the kiddie-pigeon story on BBC Radio 4 program Questions Questions, but you can read about it here.

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (17:07) : 

Well, would you leave the nest at the risk of becoming roast squab? ;-)

Lovely picture!

 

Blogger ems said ... (18:29) : 

I was dive-bombed by a pigeon as I got off the bus this morning.

You're right in that London wouldn't be the same without them but at the end of the day they are vermin. Nothing more than flying rats.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (20:08) : 

ems, funny thing but as time goes by I find myself becoming more pigeon agnostic, but dive bombing isn't fair. While I used to agree with you I reckon we (Londoners) have made pigeons what they are, they have just adapted. The picture was taken near my house and I do object to their (and the ducks) overfeeding as it does encourage the rats. You can tell the difference.

 

Blogger Simply London Builders - James McKimm said ... (13:33) : 

I generally don't have anything against pigeons but have four of them nesting right above my front door. The mess they create every single day is unbelievable, it drives me mad!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile