Thursday, September 14, 2006

Along Hatton Garden



These figures can be seen as you walk down Hatton Garden, London's gold and jewelery sector. The building has quite a history. Built as a church after the Great Fire in 1666, it became a charity school around 1700, from when these children in 18th Century costume date. The building was damaged in WWII, but the statues had been sent away for safe keeping. the building has been restored, and the statues returned. I don't know if you'll be able to make out in the large photo, but the boy is holding a bible and the girl a piece of writing. The building is now offices.

Another take on charity schools tomorrow.

posted by Ham at 12:02 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "Along Hatton Garden"

 

Blogger Mostly Harmless said ... (03:17) : 

I am enjoying your photos of London so very much. London is my favourite city of all that I've been to. I see many of the streets I walked back in the 80's when I lived a good part of the year there. Your pics bring back so many good memories. I used to live in the St. Ermines Hotel on Caxton St., Westminster, just up the road from New Scotland Yard. I couldn't afford the place anymore as it's gone 4 star. I would love to see pictures of the street and hotel if you ever get down that way. I recall window shopping at an antique map seller located on Caxton. Thank you for the memories.

 

Blogger Jing said ... (12:33) : 

really nice photo.
It let me remind some similar figures in traditional Chinese culture standing beside the door or gate..:) they are not so lovely....
I will post some in the coming days...
...jing

 

Blogger ems said ... (21:45) : 

I like Hatton Garden. Do you know Ye Olde Mitre pub hidden off here? It's a favourite. People pass by the alleyway for years without realising it is there.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (01:40) : 

Birdwalker - I'll see what I can do

Jing - I'll look forward to it

Ems - yes, I do! (I worked close by for some time) It is a great little haunt. Leather Lane is likely to appear sometime, too.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile