Friday, February 16, 2007

St Georges Gardens

 

Today's photo is another contender for London's most hidden park, You can see it in this satellite photo, but you won't from any road. I've known about it for years (I used to live near here), although it was TWWSI that sent me down there now.

It's an astonishing place, the first burial ground outside of a church dating back to 1713. It changes from a crowded picnic green at lunchtimes to a secluded nature reserve. If you are in the area, it really is worth a visit. It's that well hidden, it looks to me as if even the diamond geezer hasn't got here.

posted by Ham at 00:05 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "St Georges Gardens"

 

Blogger Kate said ... (07:00) : 

Your narrative and photo makes the place look very enticing. I'd love to go there!

 

Blogger ems said ... (08:05) : 

Ssshhh...I discovered this place a couple of years ago and have loved it ever since. There have never been many people around when I have sat myself down for a quiet moment.

Did you notice the tomb of Oliver Cromwell's granddaughter?

 

Blogger Chuckeroon said ... (16:15) : 

Thanks, Ham. A nice insight. Really like the statue photo. Seems to sum up your feeling for the place.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (20:36) : 

Fascinating... no idea at all that this was here. Will give it a look next timne I'm down that way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (21:12) : 

I thought the squirrel was prettier than the statue... Keep TWWSIing and kind regards.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (04:24) : 

I used to cut through here on my way to and from UCL everyday. Such a cute little garden...

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile