Saturday, March 10, 2007

London's Private Clubs



London used to be full of small private members clubs of varying degrees of respectability. These days, they are much rarer. One such is adverised by this discreet brass plaque - the "Club for Acts and Actors", or the Concert Artistes Association in Bedford Street, Covent Garden. The've been around since 1897. Whenever I see one of these old clubs I feel a small sadness that I'm not part of it.Checkout the website to find out what they offer behind this closed door.

posted by Ham at 01:01 -- Comments here: 7

Comments on "London's Private Clubs"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (07:48) : 

Wonderful... and I see the late John Inman is listed as one of their patrons. Indeed the names of the president and patrons are actors from a different age.

Sad.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:08) : 

I know what you mean- I always feel like I want to be a part of it, having said that it doesn't look very welcoming and I am no actor. Enjoyed reading your blog, your blog about awful shop names was a favourite- Curl Up and Dye is brilliant! I'm goung to add you to my favourites so I can come back.
Rosie x

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (18:09) : 

You are a member of a club Ham!

It's the Daily Photo Bloggers Club.

There are only around 100 members at the moment, but it's a worldwide organisation. No membership fee, just the willingness to take a photo everyday & write a few lines of text to go with it.

 

Blogger Gerald (Ackworth born) said ... (19:36) : 

who was it said "I'd never be a member of any club that would accept the likes of me as a member"?

Thanks for commenting on my truth-meme a few weeks back.
The answers have now been revealed at http://ackworthborn.blogspot.com/2007/03/and.html

 

Blogger Louise Starkey said ... (23:48) : 

What a great facility, it would be great to be part of this club (if only I was an artiste or actor and lived in London....).

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (14:18) : 

Good facilities for thesps. Maybe you could join if you just Ham it up a bit?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (00:35) : 

Nic - you ah so right, dahhhling

Rosie - I may start a collection of bad signs for a collage

gail's man - yeah, but it's not much good for a beer after hours

Gerald - well, well, well, you can never tell... oops, slipped a day

louise - minor considerations, I'm sure. The footlights beckon

lynn.... groan.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile