Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ordinary Londoners - No 1 in a series


Welcome to "Ordinary Londoners", a new series of portraits and stories.

Meet Len. An ordinary Londoner, born nearly seventy years ago in Kings Cross, he's been a shoe repairer ever since he started work at 15. For the last thirty years he has had a shop in Woodford. He also told me the story of the man and the woman who came into his shop with the handcuffs that wouldn't undo, but I can't repeat that story here.

It's worth knowing he's here if you need your shoes repaired properly - there are very few left as talented as Len any more.

London Daily Photo Map

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 10

Comments on "Ordinary Londoners - No 1 in a series"

 

Blogger Olive said ... (00:35) : 

I love the idea of this series Ham!
But why can't you tell us the story??? I mean you started it, so it's only fair!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (03:43) : 

Hi Ham...nice portrait! Shoe-repairing is a dying industry in HK because new shoes are so cheap, there are only very few repairer around now.

I haven't been here for a while, hope all is well with you and...is the Olympus new???? Looks like it's a great camera :-)

 

Blogger CaBaCuRl said ... (06:01) : 

Looking forward to more photos in this series. Fair dinkum bootmakers are being replaced in Australia by kiosks in shopping malls that resole shoes,cut keys, do engraving, and other tasks, while you wait. Speed seems to be the key, sadly.

 

Blogger Matthew Bamberg said ... (06:17) : 

Great series! http://palmspringsdailyphoto.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (08:52) : 

Wonderful idea...and a lovely capture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:18) : 

I didn't know I had a cobblers anywhere nearby, that's handy, thanks.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (11:32) : 

Olive - I have told you the story, really ;-) (I just don't have a lot of space to rabbit on if I'm to keep teh text short)

Lisi - always nice to see you! my time is still as stretched. I've been using the Olympus since the start of the blog (almost, and also, not exclusively) but I've recently done a bit of a sponsrship deal.

I'll have to see where this series takes me, looks like being fun.

 

Blogger Kate said ... (21:36) : 

I like these kinds of themes because it gives an important insight into the culture. I did a MN workers series about a year ago and had fun doing it, as I am sure you will also as you continue taking photos.

 

Blogger Kate said ... (21:36) : 

I like these kinds of themes because it gives an important insight into the culture. I did a MN workers series about a year ago and had fun doing it, as I am sure you will also as you continue taking photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (13:14) : 

Hello !
this is my first comment here although I've been reading your blog since long time now !
Congratulat for this nice idea, it's nice to discover London by a serie of Londoners portraits !:)

Just few words from me. I've been living in London during few months and really enjoyed this city, I'm now living in Paris...

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile