Friday, February 06, 2009

Mind the Gap



For one reason or another I spent last week on public transport, rather than on my bike, and thoroughly unpleasant it has been, too, although there are some that revel in the tube.

"Mind the Gap" has become synonymous with London, here's the background. But what surprised me was the small print - "last year 74 accidents".

Labels: , ,

posted by Ham at 00:17 -- Comments here: 2

Comments on "Mind the Gap"

 

Blogger elyob said ... (14:03) : 

Me too. Thoroughly unpleasant. This morning, back on the bike, it was wonderful.

 

Blogger rchrd said ... (08:02) : 

My first trip to England was in 1966. What impressed me most, being a literate New Yorker, was the use of language in the most mundane places, like the Tube. And the parks. I puzzled over the the signs asking dog owners to refrain from "suffering the footpath", or warning "bill stickers" they would be prosecuted.

That experience, and the two years in the '70's I actually lived in London, gave me a great respect for flexibility and creativity in the way we use language.

Which is to say, "mind the gap" means a lot more than originally intended.

Cheers from California.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile