Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A night at the opera



This lush looking set is the interior of a restaurant, Sarastro in Drury Lane. I've often wanted to visit, as I'd heard that it was interesting and I do like the garden they've made in the street. However, my experience wasn't positive. The incredible interior is indeed exceptional, but I was more interested whether I could gnaw it to stave off hunger.

While the waiters were ok, the food service was the worst I've experienced for a long while. The restaurant was no more than 15% full, and our starters (which needed next to no preparing) took 45 minutes to arrive, and our main course another twenty after, despite the fact we told the waiter we were going to a show. As a result we had to rush our food, which was ok but ordinary and at £60 for two courses for two (with two glasses of wine) frankly very poor value. I won't rush back, and I will make this a review of Sarastro Restaurant, Drury Lane London to help Google find it. They add a 12.5% optional service charge, which at least gave me a good laugh. At least the manager had the decency to answer my question "What reason was there for the delays" with a straightforward "none, no reason".

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 2

Comments on "A night at the opera"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (04:17) : 

I used to like going to Belgo before shows. I actually didn't go to the shows, but Belgo had (still has?) a special starting at 5:30P where your tab is the time your order is placed. It's a limited menu, but comes with a half of draught beer (or wine), so you can't beat it. Luckily they charge based on the 12-hour clock, so I was able to get a quarter chicken, side of pasta, fries, and a beer for £5,34! It's aimed at the theatre crowd, so the service is always fast.

 

Blogger cara said ... (07:45) : 

Good on ya, Ham. Shalln't be going there next time I'm home.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile