Friday, July 01, 2011

July Theme Day - Green



The City Daily Photo theme day for July is "Green", and it struck me that one of the unique features of a lot of London towns are the village greens, remaining from before the city swallowed them up. Very often cricket is played on them, like this one here in Woodford. If you look closely at the large image, you can see that I have just captured the moment the batsman has missed the ball, just before it hits middle stump. The shot of him walking is here.

See how others around the world have interpreted the theme, click here to view thumbnails for all participants

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "July Theme Day - Green"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (01:02) : 

Two things that surprised me:
1) There really is a commons at Clapham Common and
2) There's nothing common about it.

Talk about your green spaces. I only ended up there because my afternoon cancelled and I had nothing to do. So I decided to (literally) take the first bus to it's terminus. That's how I found it.

If you're in London and haven't planned out every detail, or if you've recently moved there, carve out about 3 hours and try this (but ask about dodgy places to avoid).

 

Blogger Julie said ... (01:25) : 

We don't have village greens over here, as such. We do have a large Domain here in Sydney, and many small country towns have Commons. But the common is rarely, if ever, green.

I like both your shots, but cannot see the ball in either - that is my brain's fault, not the fault of your camera.

 

Blogger Jim said ... (03:23) : 

Terrific green shots.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

 

Blogger Steve A said ... (03:44) : 

It reminds me of Berwick, though the details are all different...

 

Blogger cara said ... (06:27) : 

I can almost hear the faint ripple of applause... and taste that bitter shandy.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (07:22) : 

If you are trying to spot the ball, look at the very end of the bat. The ball is behind the end of the bat (red with a white seam), not where the batsman wanted it. A fraction of a second later, it will hit the middle stump and the batman will be out. If you are curious as to how cricket is played, a simple explanation for a foreigner is http://intermain.org.uk/john/what_is_cricket.php here

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile