Sunday, February 19, 2012

St Mary Le Bow



"Yer a cockney if yer born in the sahnd of Bow Bells" is a common saying, but relatively few know that the Bow Bells are here, in St Mary le Bow, Cheapside. A church with a thousand year history, most recently rebuilt after being bombed in WWII, the history of the bells is fascinating in its own right. The interior is truly magnificent, though.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "St Mary Le Bow"

 

Anonymous CornishCockney said ... (17:49) : 

Have often heard the bells, but have never been inside. Must remedy that!

 

Blogger Cathy West said ... (19:52) : 

Thank you from City of Escondido, County of San Diego, State of California.

Had the wonderful pleasure of visiting London.....want very much to return and add St. Mary le Bow, Cheapside to the itinerary

Catherine West

 

Blogger Deb said ... (20:58) : 

Looks very elaborate decor for a C of E church, makes for a colourful photo.

 

Anonymous Bill Gordon said ... (21:45) : 

Thank you so much for this posting. My mother was a cockney and used to talk about being within the sound of the "Bow Bells". I will be in London in May and I shall visit this church.

 

Blogger cannopa said ... (08:35) : 

How bizarre Ham. I was on Cheapside 2 days before and with 30 mins to kill I spent them in here, as I'd not been in before.
Perhaps a photo of the balcony on the tower next? (thought to be a representation of the balcony from which the king watched the jousting on Cheapside I read.)
Having been born in the old Charing Cross Hospital I think (if it were an easterly wind!) I'm more cockney than most.
Actually I also read the bell used to toll the 9pm curfew, perhaps the origins of the Cockney theme?

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile