Thursday, March 01, 2012

March Theme Day - Electricity



The Worldwide City Daily Theme Day for March is Electricity, so here is the Battersea Power Station, a relic from the days when these powerhouses were built to keep London running. These days it is much harder to find a use for an icon like this, and various schemes have been floated over the years, including a theme park, houses, shops, you name it. It just so happens, if you have a bright idea and £500 Million to spare, this is just the right time - could you save this wonderful building?

To see how others around the world have interpreted the theme, Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 9

Comments on "March Theme Day - Electricity"

 

Blogger Julie said ... (01:12) : 

Now that is a buildng that I would like to have a tour over. I suspect that is out of the question due due to OH&S issues.

 

Blogger PerthDailyPhoto said ... (03:54) : 

I will be so interested to see who buys this iconic building and what they do with it. Fantastic image for today's theme Ham.

 

Blogger Jilly said ... (05:39) : 

I hoped someone in London would post a photo of this wonderful building. At least they've not knocked it down but I suppose in the current financial climate not much is going to happen to it. Iconic.

 

Blogger Janet said ... (10:42) : 

So who is up to the challenge? I'd vote for a power park!

 

Blogger Wayne said ... (16:05) : 

A few years ago I viewed it from across the Thames before any renovation work had begun. Now I wish I'd taken the time to try to get a closer look.

 

Blogger Wayne said ... (16:05) : 

A few years ago I viewed it from across the Thames before any renovation work had begun. Now I wish I'd taken the time to try to get a closer look.

 

Blogger MJ said ... (22:18) : 

Looks familiar... Isn't this the same building used on Pink Floyd's "Animals" LP? A very ominous, yet starkly beautiful image!

 

Anonymous imajoebob said ... (01:03) : 

They flew the pig over it a last September to celebrate the Floyd album's 35th anniversary. And the Simpson's Movie flew Spider Pig back in '07. battersea is also used in Richard III with Ian McKellen (great film).

I took a visit a few years back - when there was still a plan on the books to develop it, but you couldn't get any closer than a large fence a few hundred yards away. Couldn't see much, except the walls were barely still standing. And it wasn't that easy to get to.

 

Blogger cannopa said ... (15:35) : 

I grew up in the housing estate on the opposite side of the river. We enjoyed the luxury of all the hot water we wanted as the waste steam from here was piped under the river to Churchill Gardens Estate; although of course growing up with it I just thought it was the norm. It was an award winning innovation in the early 1950s, far ahead of it's time for conserving energy!
I know my mother had a guided tour of the power station when it was operational. Such a shame it's falling into ruin now.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile