Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Sound of the Bard Spinning



Why is it the most unlikely places get named after such inappropriate choices? Allow me to present "Shakespeare Tower" in the Barbican, not much more to say, is there?

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 7

Comments on "The Sound of the Bard Spinning"

 

Blogger Steve A said ... (00:25) : 

Thoughts of sound and fury signifying nothing come to mind...

 

Anonymous imajoebob said ... (00:45) : 

Might've had a view of the Globe back when it was built. Now, you probably can't even get a view of Tower Hamlets.

 

Blogger Petrea Burchard said ... (06:34) : 

I remember visiting Southwark (I think) in 1999 and being allowed to view a watery spot, under a high-rise, where remains of the Globe were said to have been found. I don't know if this turned out to be true or not. Having just spent four weeks at Oxford studying Shakespeare with members of the RSC, it was all very heady.

Steve A hit on just the right line.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (08:41) : 

I love the Barbican. Yes it's brutal - a fine example of the type, but it has soul, and to me is beautiful & no, I wasn't drunk when I visited!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (14:08) : 

Well, I suppose they need to be named after someone. There are also buildings in the Barbican complex named after Ben Jonson, John Bunyan, Daniel Defoe, John Milton, Thomas More.

The two other towers are Cromwell and Lauderdale, who no doubt deserve being commemorated in blocks of towering concrete.

 

Blogger Bully said ... (15:00) : 

When the Barbican opened in 1982 it was home to the Royal Shakespeare Company.

 

Anonymous Mo said ... (17:19) : 

He'd spin in his grave

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile