Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fitzrovia



Somewhat surprisingly I don't think I've ever featured Fitzrovia before - this is Fitzroy Square. Possibly one of the highest concentration of the (now demised) Blue Plaques, it was a Bohemian area whose previous residents include such as Augustus John, Quentin Crisp, Dylan Thomas, Aleister Crowley, George Orwell, George Bernard Shaw, Virginia Woolf, Ribaud, Verlaine. Well, you would if you could, wouldn't you? Oh yes, and for a few years as a callow youth, I lived 100 yards away, it was fun.

I'm off again, cycling in the mountains this time - back in a little.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 3

Comments on "Fitzrovia"

 

Blogger Helen said ... (12:00) : 

You lived in Fitzrovia? I am soooooooo envious.

 

Blogger Accidental Londoner said ... (07:37) : 

And now home to Griff Rhys Jones and Guy Ritchie (who is rumoured to have tunnelled under this square to reach his car without having to set foot in the square...!)

 

Blogger Ham said ... (00:18) : 

I spent a while in Endsleigh Street, then moved to Wells Street. It sounds a lot more exotic than had you actually seen it, but the Barrow Poets used to perform in the wine bar downstairs.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile